Saturday, July 10, 2010

I apologize for taking a whole week to get this up and running, but this week has been the craziest roller coaster ride of my life! July 3, 2010, was just another Saturday, Tim was playing flag football and I had big plans of celebrating my cousin, Ashley's birthday at the beach. The phone rings and shows up as "My hubby", but on the other end was Danny's voice. Danny was calling to inform me that Tim had been "injured" playing flag football and that I needed to meet them at Shands hospital. Tim asked Danny not to scare me and he did well, I calmly drove to the hospital, but was soon surprised to find Tim in the Trauma unit with no feeling in his body, from the chest down and 2 broken vertebrates. He was slowly gaining some movement in his toes and fingers but they considered Tim a partial Quadriplegic. It quickly became surreal, this can't be happening to my husband, not me, not us and not now. Here I am 25 years old, Tim, 29 and only married for 3 years. What does God have in store? What is his plan? I know those questions will be answered in time, but for now, I have to be the wife that I vowed to be when I said "I do." I have to be strong for him, I have to get him through this. He CAN and WILL push through! I have faith, we have an amazing support system and the number of prayers going out are outrageous!

Day 1: Tim has feeling and movement in his toes and fingers and is stronger on the right side. The doctors have screwed a halo into his head to keep his his neck in place and from moving. The x-ray shows the 3rd and 4th vertebrate are broken and he has some spinal damage. Tim is scared to death, but most importantly wants to have babies with me! LOL... And that is a major concern of his right now. The doctors have assured us that there are ways.

Day 2: Tim's surgery was at 9 am and it was successful! They went in through the front of his neck and fused the 2 vertebrates together. After the surgery, he was able to move his right knee and his left just a little bit. They have him on a breathing tube, which goes down the throat, it is very uncomfortable but necessary since he has some damage to the diaphragm. He can breathe on his own for a lot of the day, but tires out. There is a feeding tube through his nose and several other hook ups, he is heavily sedated and given pain medication constantly. He is mouthing his words and I am learning to interpret. When I can't understand, we use an alphabet board, I go by rows and when he finds the letter in the row, he mouths yes to me and we go letter by letter to slowly spell out the word.

Day 3:Tim's breathing has gotten a little better, more of it is on his own, without the ventilator. Tim has a fever, but they have not yet identified what it is caused from. There are several tests out but results can take several days. Tim can move both legs better today!

Day 4: Tim's occupational therapist came in and worked with him, she was very pleased at what movement he already had. He is contracting his muscles and working really hard at his exercises. Tim had a bronchial test done to test for pneumonia, so far, clear. Doctors are now talking about a tracheotomy to help with his breathing after being on the ventilator for 10 days. We are hoping he can breathe on his own by then and will not need it. Pastor Joe stopped in to pray with Tim today and he was so happy to see him. We requested for visitors to stay away as the doctors wanted Tim to rest and break the fever.

Day 5: Tim has really made progress! The occupational therapist even sees a difference. Tim is able to close his right fingers, still weak on the left. Dr. gave him a 1.5 of 5 on the left side and 3.5 of 5 on the right. Tim met his orthopedic surgeon that will perform the next surgery, they will go in through the back of his neck and secure the vertebrates and remove the halo. He will be in a neck brace after the surgery. Tim asked the surgeon if he would be able to walk again. The surgeon responded that with the current movement he already has, it is a very good indicator that he can, with a lot of work. He may not be as coordinated, but from what the surgeon sees, it is encouraging. Tim has a few new ways of getting the nurses' attention, sucking his tube and kicking the side of the bed. He cant push the nurse's button, so that really limits him, but he has it all figured out now! He has become impatient, uncomfortable and really just all around tired of being in that bed. He doesn't want to rest and wants to go home.

Day 6: Tim still has a fever, they are controlling with Tylenol but it really needs to break in order for them to operate. Tim wants everyone that comes in to exercise his arms and legs, nurses included. He just wants to move! We received test results and he has a staph infection, that is where the fever is coming from.

Day 7: Movement is all around better. He is able to lift the right arm just a little bit and he has some feeling in the butt, which is really good for walking. Fever is down, but must stay down in order for them to operate. Hoping for surgery Sunday or Monday!

It has been the longest week of my life, but the hospital staff has been really great, very encouraging and they are really impressed with Tim's progress, which gives me some comfort.

Thank you everyone for the support and most of all, your prayers! God is answering them already. Tim will soon be off to Brooks hospital and working towards a full recovery!!

Some inspiration...
"Fear not, for I am with you, be not dismayed, for I am your God, I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

xoxoxoxoxo
Jamie

8 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two weeks ago Tim said, "I love my life".
    He has a lot to be grateful for, he has a wonderful wife, a loving family and awesome friends by his side.
    I have all the faith in the world that he will be get through this!!!

    "Anything is possible through the Strength of God"

    O Lord my God, I cried to you for help, and you have healed me.
    Psalm 30:2

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie, Wow what an awesome wife. I havent even seen tim since highschool and it is amazing how many people there are that havent been in touch with him but are still praying like crazy.I have known since 4th of July and off the back called our prayer chain and hes up in our church. My husband and I pray for him everyday.I dont have a fb anymore so literally everyday I have gone on my friends to go through another friends to get to Tims to get to yours so thank you for this blog its wonderful. I am praying for you Jamie, for strength, peace and understanding. What a testimony to God Tims going to be when hes running with the kids!! Im praying that no weapon shall prosper and it WONT and for Gods healing from the top of tims head to the bottom of his feet. Stay strong. there are people out there that havent seen tim in years and are praying that you guys didnt know about. I hope to one day meet you at his 'completely healed celebration'!!! I dont personally know you and barely know tim anymore but you guys are in 'the family' and Im praying 100%
    Bethany Steele Lyke

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim and Jamie,
    James and I are lifting you up in our prayers daily. As Christians, we can be confident that even though we may not understand why this happened, we can stand on God's promise that he is with us and will never forsake us. Christ will be your strength...Draw near to Him. Jamie, you have already acknowledged God's goodness and faithfulness. Thank you for your testimony! We are praying for Tim to have a complete recovery! Jeremiah 29:11.
    Love to you,
    James and Linda Williams

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jamie,
    You do not know me; I am the wife of Steven Azcueta. My husband and Tim both work at Zurich. I just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. The one thing I am certain of is God’s love and his indwelling spirit ALWAYS offers hope and strength to us all. May his never failing love shine brightly on your path together as husband and wife, and remember that he always goes before us in every situation, and he watches over us and illuminates each step that we take. Do not fear. So you take a hold of Tim’s hand and continue on your journey together. Fight the good fight. No matter how much we change or our situation changes God does not. He will never forsake you and he is the same today, tomorrow and always.

    Very Respectfully,

    Heather Azcueta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Jamie, I have been following the story through Case and my heart goes out to you both. This is going to be a long road, but I pray God's complete provision and healing!! All things are possible in Him.

    Love Tay

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Jamie,

    My church and I are also prating for Tim. I only heard about this yesterday and I also worked with Tim until shortly after the 2 of you were married. I would really like to talk with you as I also had the same thing happen to me when I was 17. I hope I can be an encouragement to Tim and maybe share some of the things he may or may not expect. If you would like to contact me my number is 327-5796.
    I hope to hear from you very soon!!

    Bo Poland

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear he is doing better, we have been so worried about him in Richmond.
    Please tell him we have prayed and prayed for our newphew, and we love him very much.
    Everybody in Varina is praying for him.
    Please give him a big hug and kiss for us.
    Thank God he has such a great wife too, we love you too Jamie very much.
    Love always baby, Aunt Cheryl, Uncle Gary, Jennifer, Alexis, McKenzie and Kara.
    Wish we could be there with yall

    ReplyDelete